Silky, long and straight hair is every girl’s dream. But, ever realized what the environment cam cause to your hair? The quality of air is ebbing by each passing day. Air pollution can result in itching, redness, dandruff, premature balding, pain in the roots etcetera. An Indian study scrutinized on a set of patients who are suffering from “prickling in the scalp, itching and pain.” The upshot is not surprising. The cause was identified as exposure to dust, smoke, lead, ammonia, arsenic, sulphur dioxide, so on in the air that settles on the scalp and hair.
Life in urban cities of high pollution levels is a challenge for hair, for sure. Pollution is a grave aggressor for hair. This results in dryness, breakage and at worst, an itchy scalp. The major reason for this effect is the fact of unhealthy eating, imbalanced diet, nutritional deficiency, commutes, outdoor workouts, sedentary lifestyles, bad metabolism and of course, high-stress levels. Many people move to cities, away from homes whine more about hair issues. Lucky you, without delving deeper, we are listing out few hair care tips that assist you in the battle with pollution:
- Cover up: It is mandatory to cover your head with a hat or scarf before stepping into the sun in order to protect the outer cuticles. They are susceptible to extensive sun damage which ultimately results in dryness and dullness of hair. Just like our body, hair also needs some protection. Use a leave-in hair conditioner that comes with SPF coverage to protect your strands from damaging UV rays and free radicals. Wrap your hair with a turban or headscarf or a funky cap. You can be classy and cover up your hair as well. Both can go hand-in-hand.
- Regular hair washing: Many people go for the hair loss treatments without doing the things which are on hand. Washing hair frequently is one of the best gifts you can offer to your hair. Regular shampooing would get rid of pollutants that are stockpiled on your scalp. Studies show that a hair washing pattern twice weekly with a shampoo and a healthy conditioner that consists of a good amount of natural oils could reap fruitful results for your sensitive scalp and fragile hair. Healthy hair takes birth from the roots. With the help of fingertips, gently massage your scalp while shampooing as it stimulates blood circulation and removes accumulated matter form.
- Serum: Serum is that magic potion that brings a shiny hair in a matter of seconds. It is silicon based that only coats the surface of the hair which encourages hair growth by stimulating hair follicles and protect the scalp. Make sure you avoid applying to the roots and do not use too much as it can clog pores and weakens hair.
- Use a hair sunscreen: With the excessive exposure of sun, hair is prone to become dry, dull and fragile. Using a hair sunscreen protects the tips from harmful UV rays. It assists in maintaining its texture and retains the shine.
- Hair Steam: Steaming is one of the best things to pamper your hair as it helps in hydrating your dry hair leaving the baked locks free. Steam in a week encourages the blood flow to circulate and aids in hair growth. This will open the pores of the scalp thereby increasing the softness and retaining the moisture. Make sure the session lasts for only 20-30 minutes. Give your cuticles some time to absorb the conditioner. Also, over moisture can lead to breakage.
- Brush with care: This is a vital step many people fail to follow and notice and almost all hair treatment doctors do suggest. Styling the hair with a suitable brush also has an asset to add volume to hair. Gentle brushing removes old hair, dead skin cells and other chemical products. Brushing could also increase the blood circulation. Additionally, it is essential to keep the brushes clean. Use warm water and a little drop of shampoo to remove oils, dust and other remainders.
- Make a home mask: Don’t expect magic in overnight. You should do your part to keep your hair healthy. It is always advisable to go for the home remedies as it doesn’t contain any chemicals and cost-effective too. Use hair mask that is suitable for your hair as one mask doesn’t go for all. One such mask could be a mixture of honey and ripe banana. It makes your hair as soft as baby hair. Rinse it off with a gentle shampoo and do not forget to condition it.
- Avoid chemical treatments: Avoid the chemical treatments such as dyes and bleaching as much as possible. They weaken your hair even more, if not instantly but eventually.
Follow these tips and check out if the pollution still finds a way to be with you. We hope this helps you.