What are internal links?
Internal Links are hyperlinks that point a different page within the same website.
Internal links are links that go from one page to another page on a domain. It identifies what are the most important pages on your site. These links help the user easy to navigate to different pages and establishes site architecture.
Hence using the proper internal linking strategy can boost your Search engine optimization.
Google likes links
Google finds your pages when they are linked to from somewhere on the web. It uses links to find out your site content, what is your content all about, and its value on the web
Google crawls every website by using links, internal and external, the entry point a website for crawl is the homepage, then it follows the hierarchical structure of your site, it correlates your pages and content passing through your links and builds a relationship between your content.
For any site, It’s crucial to evaluate and improve internal linking strategy on a regular basis.
What is the best optimal structure of a website for easy crawling?
A website best optimal structure would be like a pyramid. Where the vertex would be your homepage then your hierarchical pages to the base
This pyramid structure makes easy to navigate to the use and google spider throughout site,
If you take any large website like Google, Amazon, Facebook follows a pyramid structure that described.
How to form an internal link
The best way to form an internal link is use descriptive keyword in anchor text that gives the sense of the topic.
<a href=”http://www.same-domain.com/” title=”Keyword Rel=”nofollow” Text”>Keyword Text</a>
Explain above tag in detail
Anchor text types [link types]
There are two types of links
google introuduced a anchor text attribute nofollow
Link type “Nofollow” introduced by google to stop spamming and to stop automated blog comment submition.
The difference between dofollow vs noffollow
If the anchor attribute “rel=noffollow”
Means that the webmaster is telling the search engines that it’s a normal link, not required to followed, it doesn’t give value to the link
Where as if rel=”doffollow” or rel attribute is not provided then the link will be treated as juicy link, with value added.
Now the question comes as
How many links can be placed in a page for optimal performance?
It depends on your length of the content, you can use as many you want, but you cannot spam links on your page.
For better visibility to the user and for making search spider easy to crawlable maintain at least 30 words gap to your links
Internal links are useful for multiple reasons:
- Internal links allow users to navigate through the website.
- They help to establish the information hierarchy
- Internal links spread ranking power to different pages around the website
- you are making sure Google understands the relevant pages,
- they pass authority from one page to other
- Internal links improve the indexation of the website
- It helps in building a relationship between pages and the value of pages.
- It makes easier to the Google crawler to find the new content that you publish and links to.
- Google bot crawls the web for new content. If you have new content and linked to other pages, it makes google crawl faster
- They prompt visitors to act as calls to action[conversion optimization]